[Before you later alter the above map's scale, the Memorial Hall is almost exactly at the black "eye" ]. Postcode B49 6HL (for satnav etc) may direct to the "point of the pin" close by, where Hall is unseen through a large hedge. But for the driveway into the Memorial Hall and its "green", look for two houses OPPOSITE TO IT : unmistakably the Old Railway Station just around the corner on the Henley Road section of B4089. ***
Great Alne & Kinwarton Memorial Hall - forms a bend in the B4089 - It lies behind its own pleasant green on which we set up the Maypole. Local bus route here:(on MAP.etc page). *** Also feel free to contact us should you need further advice.
Accommodation Ideas 1. Alcester Travelodge Less than 10mins drive away, and a good bed & bathroom. Alcester Travelodge - CLICK An early booking via the main Travelodge website can yield the best prices. See Saver room bookings at Alcester Travelodge These later become relatively expensive. Note: DISTANCES to travel from/to other Travelodge accommodation are given FROM ALCESTER. (A Sunday overnight room is likely to cost about £26 if booked more than 6 months ahead.) The travelodge in Alcester (2 miles away) just 6 months ahead, has offered rooms on - Friday 27th at £26, Sat 28th at £43 and Sun 29th at £29.
2. AirBnB A room, or B&B or apartment is offered by a hosting person or family. A good experience, but research with care, to avoid any pitfalls. NB. You pay a + surcharge to AirBnB also ! Price shown is what you pay the HOST per night. Check host details for exactly what is expected of you (house rules) & any cleaning fees or higher weekend prices. Also carefully check each host's choice of PENALTY, if you book and then later CANCEL ! CLICK CHECK-IN DATE, TO SEE IF 27th April etc is available ! You then need to sign in, to submit your own GUEST PROFILE to AirBnB for this & all future hosts to see. (Amend your own profile regularly, as you come to see what's needed.) You are expected each to assess the experience afterwards in a review. You may find yourself returning regularly to a host's facilities which you really like. Rooms/B&B/Apartments/Cottages etc Set HERE for host prices for 1 person around the Alcester area An early booking gives you the best variety of choices. Later, more of your "clicks" on the prices show their availability has become taken for your requested dates. The fast, yet relatively quiet A46 dual carriageway South from Alcester means that accommodation just North of the delightful historic town of Evesham may be less than 20 mins drive from Great Alne. Some is offered there through Airbnb at very reasonable cost. eg HERE at £26+ for 1 & at £28+ for 2 - breakfast & children free - Frid 27th & Sat 28th Apr only available in 2018. YOU CAN LATER LOG INTO airBnB AND SEE WHAT IS ON OFFER IN ANY TOWN/CITY IN UK OR ABROAD.
3. Bed and Breakfast The nearest, and most lovely luxury is at - Alne Park For a good number of B&B's around nearby Alcester - (but check how far each is to Great Alne) CLICK For a smaller Alcester selection CLICK For Alcester InformationOn a site which covers ALL of the "Shakespeare Country",Use Hall postcode B49 6HL in the "location" box. It may be a good idea to first visit the area for a "tourist day", using that opportunity to view & seek local B&B's. In the surroundings are beautiful villages. Many properties advertise excellent B&B. Some regular weekend visitors find a good B&B and rebook each year. The Throckmorton at Coughton is convenient: also has good B&B. CLICK. TheThrockmorton details and pics via Booking.com Booking.com also offer this list of hotels - all close by Great Alne. "The Stag" however - perhaps listed as the nearest inn to the Hall at Great Alne - is beside the busy A46. ***
4. Holiday Cottages/apartments Self catering at these is necessary only for breakfasts, since meals etc are available at the Memorial Hall An early booking gives you the best variety of choices. The fast, yet relatively quiet A46 dual carriageway South from Alcester means that accommodation just North of the delightful historic town of Evesham may be less than 20 mins drive from Great Alne. eg 20 mins from Great Alne - New Inn Lane Holiday Cottages, Pitchill. (2 cottages) - each accommodates 2. All modern facilities. In 2018 - 3 nights £215.
5. YHA Hostel The nearest: Stratford-upon-Avon - refurbished in 2013 - 9 miles away. Best to book well in advance. Acceptable breakfasts at £5 on line. Not available if entire Hostel is group-booked. (Early booked "dorm beds" at less than £20. At YHA, popular Fri & Sat nights always cost more.) Further details: first select >April (& May) after a click on the green "Availability" box at Stratford YHA's website -cLICK. In 2017, only de luxe pods sleeping up to 4 available (in Dec '16) for our Fri, Sat AND Sun nights. Adult "dorm beds" in single sex rooms available ONLY for Sun night stay 7-8th May at £18 (in Dec '16).
6. A camper van or caravan You must request to bring your camper van, caravan (or trailer-tent) directly to Great Alne Long Weekend ! We hope this does and has not put off anyone from coming, since there was space in 2014 and in 2015 ! But to let us know in advance is essential, because numbers are limited. Please ring Paul on 0121 689 1802. Leave your own 'phone contact if you get the answerphone. The Hall car park is NOT a caravan park, but we are able to accommodate a small number. LEAVE YOUR OWN TELEPHONE NUMBER TO ALLOW PAUL TO RESPOND - please, with your name and details. (We have been told that there may be less parking space in future years, since part of this frontage belongs to the owner of the the adjacent "club" buildings.) We ask on booking, a £3 surcharge each for ANYONE remaining in the immediate environs or the car park over any night-time please. (Under 16s are free). Our hall fee is a major cost. This helps to even-out in a more fair way, the relative daytime and evening use made of the hall. You are welcome to park considerately; space permitting, on the hardstanding available near the hall. It is advised to arrive and park as early as our booking makes possible (eg in 2017 by 1pm on Friday). We are not sanctioned to use the Hall any earlier, but safety of manoeuvre of a caravan is advisable prior to their being cars parked; so immediately before 1pm on Friday is advised if possible. ** A static caravan may be hired at the tranquil Island Meadow Caravan Park - tel 01789 488 273 - 2 miles away at Aston Cantlow. The Dutch "Dance-group Oostzaan" enjoyed staying in these, as have others. You may need "wellies". Close to the small, picturesque river Alne - the "Island Meadow" site has been known to flood a bit ! (There are facilities for towed caravans: also see Church Farm below). Family tents are accepted here and Church Farm (below) - but ensure you come well prepared for camping. ** (Resourceful visitors once brought their narrowboat onto the Stratford Canal; mooring it a moderate cycle-ride away.) ** 7. Camping Please let us know of your small tent - at minimum 4wks in advance. We MAY be able to suggest somewhere to pitch a small "hiking tent" fairly close by. (At the end of April, nights sometimes are delightfully mild, but after a sunny day - usually it's VERY cold. A hot water bottle/warm headgear/down sleeping bag are a good idea if sunny days (followed by VERY cold nights are forecast.) Contact in advance: ring 0121 689 1802. Please leave your request, and your own name and 'phone contact if Paul is not available, and you get the answerphone. *** Limited "indoor camping" in the Memorial Hall HAD rarely been made use of by one or two - by bringing a sleeping bag and a foam roll, or other softer alternative to the hard floor. No one requested this in the last 2-3 years (wisely preferring more comfortable alternatives). We wish not to deter any visitors with limited resources, however this is NOT now an advertised choice for the long weekend. **
8. Family-tent or trailer-tent Camping Sadly the delightful nearby meadow (to disappointment of its earlier regular visitors) cannot be made available. COME WELL PREPARED if tenting - Spring nights can be cold. Advised contact is - Church Farm Caravanning & Camping in nearby Coughton Lane. £10/night for tent: £12 for caravan or motorhome. Electric hook-up available. You just pay for what you use ! On raised ground near the river Arrow. (If the ford on approach from A435 beside Coughton Court is impassable after heavy rain, turn near Studley; drive via Gt Alne.) *